Newbie (1 Posts)
5/18/2007 5:10:38 PM
Extremely weird problem. Recently brought desktop computer running Win XP back to my house from having been at my apartment at school for a few months. Everything worked just fine at school, one of four computers on router, no connection problems whatsoever. Set up computer here at home, connect to cable modem, and everything points towards the connection being just fine except I cannot access any websites through either IE or Firefox:
- ipconfig shows that the computer has obtained a valid ip address; been on the phone with tech support for both microsoft and my isp, both said it was a valid address
- can type ipconfig/release and then renew to successfully get new ip address; when release command is done, the icon in the bottom right hand corner comes up saying "limited or no connectivity," implying that the machine was connected beforehand
- viewing the "network connections" screen shows that local area connection has the status "connected"
- attempting to access a website through IE or Mozilla or logging onto a program such as AIM all just time out and claim there is no connection
- attempting to ping any website in the command prompt also says "request timed out"
So basically, everything I can think of on my computer points to the connection being there... I just can't get any http connection to any website, nor can I log onto AIM. I have tried accessing the internet with my firewall both shut off and completely uninstalled, I have tried it with all non-Microsoft processes disabled, I have tried in Safe Mode with Networking, all to no avail.
I have tried numerous other things, and posted at these other forums, but of yet, no one has been able to figure this out:
I'm at the end of my rope... I really don't want to take this thing into Best Buy and pay a lot of money only to have them tell me they don't know either. Any ideas???