Active Network Forums New User  |  Login  |  Any forum problems? E-mail us
Back to Forums > "Windows XP"
<- Previous Thread  |  Next Thread ->

The time is 3:40:11 PM

Locked Thread Can't delete file due to invalid file name
  User Icon snoozie

Newbie (2 Posts)
Newbie (2 Posts)

4/14/2007 1:24:38 AM


    QUOTE:

    Originally Posted by sdf34232:
    I had the same problem. I moved all the contents I wanted to keep out of that folder and put them somewhere else. Then I deleted the entire folder that contained the corrupt file. Worked for me.

      QUOTE:

      Originally Posted by PBAndrew:
      I downloaded a . jpg file using a filesharing program that when completed showed up as 0kbs, so when hit delelte theres no reponse. When I right click on it I Open, Print, Edit, Preview, Open With, and Send to as my only options. When I attempt to use any of the options it gives me nothing. I tried using a program that edits the file before Windows boots but when I tried to tell it the file path it gave me a Invalid file error. So then I look more closely and the file name is insanely long and I don't even see the .jpg at the end.

      So I'm wondering if theres any thing I can do it remove it.






----------------------------------------------
Snoozie
  User Icon snoozie

Newbie (2 Posts)
Newbie (2 Posts)

4/14/2007 1:27:46 AM


Holy crap, how simple is that! Thanks so much, it worked for me too.


    QUOTE:

    Originally Posted by sdf34232:
    I had the same problem. I moved all the contents I wanted to keep out of that folder and put them somewhere else. Then I deleted the entire folder that contained the corrupt file. Worked for me.

      QUOTE:

      Originally Posted by PBAndrew:
      I downloaded a . jpg file using a filesharing program that when completed showed up as 0kbs, so when hit delelte theres no reponse. When I right click on it I Open, Print, Edit, Preview, Open With, and Send to as my only options. When I attempt to use any of the options it gives me nothing. I tried using a program that edits the file before Windows boots but when I tried to tell it the file path it gave me a Invalid file error. So then I look more closely and the file name is insanely long and I don't even see the .jpg at the end.

      So I'm wondering if theres any thing I can do it remove it.






----------------------------------------------
Snoozie
  User Icon soulshadow59

Newbie (1 Posts)
Newbie (1 Posts)

5/24/2007 11:38:40 PM


i tried everything too...and i finally found a free software that works...PURGEIE is the name of the software..extremely easy to use!
  User Icon Chaky

Newbie (2 Posts)
Newbie (2 Posts)

6/1/2007 5:35:58 PM


    QUOTE:

    Originally Posted by soulshadow59:
    i tried everything too...and i finally found a free software that works...PURGEIE is the name of the software..extremely easy to use!




There's a simple solution to this problem. All you need is a MS-DOS based program (I used Nortpn commander 5.0) and find the file by it's 8.3 filename format and delete it.
Example:
Long file name: "1234blablablabla.jpeg"
8.3 file name would be "123bla~1.jpe"
Problem is with long filenames and charset code tables. Some spamers use wired symbols in the filenames in their spams (pics, trojans, clips...) that are usually distributed via p2p.

Tip: don't download EVERYTHING you see.
  User Icon wwwkingwww

Newbie (13 Posts)
Newbie (13 Posts)

6/2/2007 5:13:41 PM


The second way:
use "Find File" and [try to] delete it.
----------------------------------------------
Repair your pc errors and speed up your pc performance http://www.okregistry.com
  User Icon Chaky

Newbie (2 Posts)
Newbie (2 Posts)

6/4/2007 3:47:31 PM


    QUOTE:

    Originally Posted by wwwkingwww:
    The second way:
    use "Find File" and [try to] delete it.




That won't work. The file would be found, but renaming, accessing or deleting it is impossible with windows interface. You get same error. Only 2 ways is deleting a parent folder or deleting (or renaming) the file via ms-dos based interface that doesn't support LFNs.

What strikes me odd is that the drive appears to be healthy. No drive scans ever revealed any errors to me, and I've tried everything, including the chkdsk /p in the recovery console.

This post was last edited by Chaky on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 3:48:20 PM.
  User Icon JuliaQQ

Newbie (1 Posts)
Newbie (1 Posts)

3/17/2008 7:22:55 AM


Hello
The easiest way is to use some libraries that supports long paths like
http://www.abtollc.com/products.aspx

It is not free, but comes with samples and working code. It saved so much of my time!
  User Icon gage816

Newbie (1 Posts)
Newbie (1 Posts)

7/27/2010 1:37:52 AM


You were right. As soon as I copied the container file holding the bad file to a new location higher in the directory, I was then able to easily delete the file. It was just too buried in the file structure for Windows to delete it properly. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------
gage816

Copyright © 1997-2012 Active Network, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use. Privacy Policy.
cheap boilers, IR35
Taxis